Monday, September 7, 2009

Getting Back into "Shape"

This is a tiny iphone pic of Miley. Looks like we're in the car. Those iphone camera's are really impressive-eh? I got a question on getting back into shape post pregnancy, and so, this is my reply. Basically, you are surviving after a baby is born. You have good days and so-so days and not so good days. Depending on the number of child it is and how good you feel, exercise is mom's treat when she's had plenty of sleep. I usually give myself 9 months to even think about exercising. I like to do it sooner, because I like exercise. I like to sweat, I need the endorphins, but if my eyes look like a drunken sailor from lack of sleep....then exercise goes to the bottom of the list no matter how much I would like to do it. The other way to look at it is this: the faster you get into shape, the higher the potential for the next pregnancy....if you get my drift.

I've probably exercised once a week and the baby is 7 weeks old. But the last time I went for a jog, I got mastitis when I got home and it was probably related to a bunch of things, but certainly, exercising may have contributed. Miley sleeps awesome. She sleeps 6-7 hours at a time at night and only wakes up once for a feeding. BUT, I have four others waiting for me in the morning, plus a husband who's a night owl. And, I have an overly responsible personality when it comes to the family, so, I have to watch burning the candle at both ends. Miley will start sleeping through the whole night in about 5 weeks or so, and that will help tremendously....at which point I will give my new view on exercise. For now, I'm enjoying being a size 10 and wearing lots of elastic waistband clothes and giving myself pep talks. After all, you DO have the rest of your life to get in shape, the baby, however, will only be a baby for a few more days.

2 comments:

  1. Very timely post! I was just thinking of asking you what you do. I am about 8mo postpartum and losing this weight after #5 is really hard. I look forward to reading about what you do! I am getting bummed but also know that my body seems to like to hang on to some fat for breastfeeding....

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, this helped me a lot! i've been having a major complex about my body - my old clothes aren't fitting and i'm feeling like my body is mushy and not my own. annnyhow, your words of wisdom were a good reminder to give myself a break. good thing flowy is in right now ( ;

    ReplyDelete