Saturday, August 29, 2009

Mastitis, the Mom's Speeding Ticket from hell

Weelll, I got the 'ol mastitis yesterday and it is NOT FUN. Basically, mastitis is speeding ticket. You are going too fast, pushing too hard, not trusting and resting....and boom...here comes mastitis. I was taking all of my potions and lotions but continued on making dinner and taking care of kids and sure enough, here comes the fever, headache, spinning room and I had to jump in bed.

So I put on my sweats, wool socks, and turned on the heating pad and started praying for forgiveness. I know when I'm pushing it and really, you can push it physically, but if mentally you are stressing over too much, I think that's when mastitis can set in. If you nip in the bud immediately, you won't get the full blown deal, but if you stay up and stay going...very quickly the fever and the symptoms will set in that send you straight to bed.

I think the whole thing that brought it on was this curtain I'm making for the nursery. Usually, I don't decorate the nursery til after the birth. The baby sleeps in my room anyway for 3 months or so, so I will find out the sex after the birth, and then set things in motion. This time, I am completely converting the nursery from boy to girl, and I'm really into it. Usually, I just throw up a few unisex items from pottery barn and I'm happy with that. This time, I bought at least 15 yards of fabric for various items and sewing my way there. Plus, had the room painted a gorgeous blue....anyway, so I have been working for hours on this curtain-it's only one curtain for one window, but I think I picked the hardest curtain in the book and it really has stressed me out. I had to repent for how stressed out I got over the thing. Tonight, I'm going to work on it again, but setting my timer so I don't work til midnight...maybe it will get finished, but I'm ok if it doesn't. The following is what I do for mastitis:

Mastitis Recipe for Success:
IMMEDIATELY get in bed with the baby and have the baby nurse on the affected side
IMMEDIATELY start drinking tons of water and taking vitamin C, vitamin B, rutin, and zinc (if you have it)
A nice tincture is the "mastitis" tincture from wishgarden herbs (Whole Foods carries wishgarden herbs now....call first to make sure it's in stock)
HOT HOT shower and massage or HOT heating pad on that breast help break up the clogged ducts

Email me with any other tips you know of....this is all I could think of for now

No comments:

Post a Comment