Sunday, May 24, 2009

Baby Gear

pastedGraphic.tiff

O.K. So someone wrote and asked me what I thought about babies r us....this was my response: 


Dear So and So:


Oh yeah, babies r us is the grossest store on the earth...next to toys r us. I WILL say I've gotten a GREAT crib there. Much better than pottery barn (I’ve had a pottery barn crib and it was a waste of money....for me. After 3 cribs, 2 broke to smithereens, I figured out that the side of the crib that moves up and down...that mechanism will break and be irreplaceable over time....get one of those cribs that is just fixed on all four sides). But I give them (Babies R Us), one star for service...plan to wait awhile when you get a piece of furniture there. Amazon's a great resource when you want to research a baby product as well. If you have a sit and stroll, a miyo, a crib, one comfort blanket or something you want the baby to get attached to (I really like the flatout teddy bear from australia), a nice wool throw (they won't keep a blanket on them, but they will find the wool blanket and get on top of it...it keeps them warm through the night...or you can do a sheepskin)...I HATE changing tables, always used the countertop with a folded towel. Once they get wiggly, I spank their leg with a wooden spoon about 1-2 times, and they “get it”...no moving while I’m up here...


I like water and a washrag for the bottom so much better than wipes. i like cloth diapers a LOT. Just don’t get them at a store...order online at katieskisses.com or google to get information. I Think rocking chairs are dorky, but get one once the baby gets too heavy to stand and bounce with, and I love an amazing jogger. Babies are bored with toys, get some new kitchen gadgets for yourself and share. I DO like a good "bouncer". Those are awesome and a little swing that you can move around the house...both of these expire after 6-8 months, but buy either or. I really like the bumbo seat, but you don't need it till they are ready to eat. Hate diaper bags, just won't carry one. Love stainless steel sippy cups. Have never given my kids juice til this year. I start brushing their teeth at 6 months. For Christmas the first year, your mom will totally buy whatever else you find you need. This is about all the gear I have. I hate clutter...therefore, I keep it as simple as physically possible. Walmart is open 24 hours if you HAVE to have anything else. My biggest expense with my kids: BOOKS BOOKS BOOKS...can't get enough awesome children's books, this is where my money is invested. Get a new bookshelf...that's a good piece of gear....


Add on: not big on baby monitors of any sort, maybe it’s my personality...I keep the baby in a bassinet (or miyo...either one) next to my bed for a week. Then, I put them in the closet or nearest bathroom til about 3 months old, then I move them to the bedroom. I like them in a super dark place with a vent on for white noise during all naps.


Also, LOVE the sling. I originally got the New Native Baby Carrier...and still use it. This last baby I got brave and watched youtube on how to tie a big piece of cloth...love that too, can be cumbersome in your purse, but it’s the most comfortable sling on the planet. There are tons of ways to tie them and the weight is so evenly placed you don’t get tired of them in it. My babies are so heavy, that this is important. I wore a baby bjorn (it was cute), for 5 minutes and I thought it must be a joke how much my shoulders were hurting. I hope I got my money back on that thing.


So, here are my top 10:


1. baby sling

2. a crib

3. swing or jumper

4. book case with many books

5. a rocking chair ( i guess you have to have one)

6. bassinet, moses basket, or baby miyo for the first 6 or 7 months

7. the sit and stroll stroller/carseat/faa approved airline seat/booster seat all in one (Costco has a zebra one right now at Costco.com)

8. cloth diapers (katieskisses.com-I like the chinese prefolds, snappi fastener, and pullup pant covers myself)

and really thin cloth wipes

9. noisemaker (white noise type, amazon.com)

10. an awesome, expensive, jogging stroller (joggingstroller.com)


***don’t forget your flatout teddy bear, I used to like the comfort blankets...but they start looking gross....quick


**** I never thought about clothes, much. They just seem to “appear”, especially on your first baby or two, guess that’s God’s part...He clothes the lillies of the field...and our babies

No comments:

Post a Comment