Sunday, May 24, 2009

My 2 cents on CRAVINGS


O.K. So I have lots of friends who think cravings are a legitimate need. That there is something really important in that What-a-burger nutrient-wise that’s just going to put you and the baby over the top. 

    This is what I think. I think that your hormones go into full gear when you get pregnant and there are different kinds of cravings. The first, of course, is a craving that IS something your body could need. For instance: spinach, salad, beef, lemons in your water...that kind of thing. 

    The next category...we will call it category two, are cravings that make you feel powerful over your husband or the poor person within your “area”. This craving, real or unreal, is a demand. You secretly like that someone would actually go drive somewhere just to get you a small fry. I am suspicious about this one. The final one, I will call it category three is the category where I really think most of the “bad” cravings fall into.     

    My theory is that when you were young, growing up, in High School, in college, you collected “food memories”. Those are happy memories spent with friends, grandparents, loved ones, alone, with the t.v., and with some sort of delicious food (I always DID like a bag of doritos). It could even be a fun memory from last year. So, when you get pregnant, you have moments of “need” when the positive memory “Food” is recalled, and BAM, you have a craving. What it is, however, is your emotions have just hit a little “baby wave” and you are filling the moment with food and WOW do you feel good now! But, it’s really an emotional need you are filling (feeling?). Anyway, there’s no real big answer to this...I just realized it for myself one day. I was “craving” some food, and it hit me that that food was tied to a powerful positive emotion for me....and really, I was just “craving” the positive emotion that went with the food. Does this make sense? 

    Does my cookie look so good? I wish I could put a scratch-n-sniff on that cookie and you could smell the warmth of the 60 percent cocoa/dark chocolate ghiradelli chips on that dude. mmm... mmmm...mmmmmm

No comments:

Post a Comment